Re: setting up and using channels

Author:andrew@datapatrol.com
Posted:4/27/1999; 2:51:59 AM
Topic:setting up and using channels

I'm involved in researching whether my company can build on Frontiers content server capabilities to deliver content to various wireless mobile devices - Digital Mobile phones , Palm devices, WinCE devices and pagers. The 'channels' and scaleable content capabilities of Frontier appear to us to be very exciting. Our vision is that Frontier will receive/get content flows from numerous Net based content partners which will then be stored in an ODB. The flow of content from each of our content partners would essentially be a 'channel'. Our server would then deliver that content on a predetermined or on-demand basis to the mobile device in a format that it could handle eg SMS (Short Message Service) for existing digital Mobile phones, HTML for Palm or WinCE devices and WML (Wireless Markup Language) for the new WAP (Wireless Appliocation Protocol) compliant digital phones. The mobile device owner could subscribe to the 'channels' that they were interested in via our Web site.

We are coming at this cold with no prior Frontier experience (I did use Frontier way back in the early days...but that does not really count!) but it appears that a combination of Frontiers 'channels' and Scalable Markup capabilities (and also possibly building on MailToTheFuture) would be very relevant to what we are trying accomplish. Please correct me if you think we are heading in the wrong direction.

So we would also be very interested in having access to detailed info on how Userland are delivering 'channels' today. A short 'How to' and access to the existing implementation would be more than enough.

PS Sorry for the longish post