Re: dot con

Author:Bruce Hoult
Posted:5/2/1999; 1:47:31 AM
Topic:DNS problems

Yet another possibility is to start using the neglected .us domain. Why don't we have .com.us, .org.us, and .net.us? Or what about .nom.us and .web.us? You could even go so far as to phase out the use of global TLDs for non-global entites, but I suspect that's not a popular idea.

It would be a very popular idea here in New Zealand.

In the last few weeks I've been to three major meetings about the current work being done by ICANN, WIPO etc and briefing NZ's representatives for the Berlin summit.

We are very concerned that some unappointed, bureaucratic outfit is going to try to tell us how to run the .nz TLD. We are even more concerned that .com will become even worse run than it is now.

If people in the US started using .us that would be *great* because at the moment the perception of people in the US is that if something doesn't have a .com address it doesn't exist, which means that people in NZ who want to do business internationally are being essentially forced into using a .com domain name.