Re: I do my part to help the Mac

Author:Jeff A. Campbell
Posted:5/2/1999; 4:26:56 AM
Topic:Linux' wide open spaces

>A lot can happen in a year anyway.

I guess this is the key point, really. I also agree that Apple would be nutsto just drop Mac API support right away - there needs to be a compatibility layer there, just as there was for the 68k->PPC switchover. If Apple handles this like they handled their last big shift, you have nothing to worry about.

But - as you said, a lot can happen in a year. Simply hanging off of an old architecture will do little for you or your users. What if Photoshop had remained 68k only? "It runs fast on your 8100, who are you to complain?" they could have said. Someone else would have taken Photoshop's throne within a year or two. Once you go through enough layers, you may as well just run the thing in a Mac emulator on a PC.

I hope I didn't come across as being snide, but it is important for Frontier to grow and prosper in the Mac world, not simply just survive. Evolution is the key here. With that in mind, I guess it goes to show how important some of us feel it is (even if we don't agree on the direction). :>