scriptingNews outline for 5/9/99

Author:Dave Winer

A milestone in XML used for content syndication. Today we opened the channel list for My.UserLand.Com.

At 5PM Pacific, I posted some early docs for myUserLand.root.

Clark Cooper: Benchmarking XML Parsers.

Sean Brown: XML Icon Contest.

Are you using or developing for Windows CE? If so, what is it? Even if you think you don't care, you should. There are going to be millions of these boxes on the Internet. What kind of content do they handle? How interactive are they? Why aren't they using WebTV which we already know how to make content for? Or are they using WebTV?? What's the content developer story for Windows CE?

Windows CE Power is a Frontier site. Coooool!

Jaron Lanier: Making an Ally of Piracy. "The easier it is to copy music, the less of a threat piracy will become. When piracy gets easier, professional pirates have less to offer. The only pirates left will be fans. And there are lots of ways to make money from fans."

Dan Gillmor: MP3 Sets New Tune.

MSNBC reviews three Linux distributions. I got Red Hat 6.0.

I'm making a trip to Fry's today to get a copy of Linux and Adobe ImageReady. I'm going to try the Sunnyvale store today, I hear it's better than the Palo Alto store. Wish me luck. (Of course Fry's doesn't have a website, so I'm still trying to figure out where the Sunnyvale store is.)

An employment application for Fry's.

Thanks to Lawrence Lee, Fry's Sunnyvale is on Arques Avenue.