Open Source book in the Open...a good example!

Author:Matthew R. Wilson
Posted:5/20/1999; 5:38:32 PM
Topic:Open Source book in the Open...a good example!

I think O'Riely's book about Open Source being abailable online is an excellent idea. Obviously, there is the novelty of an "open source" book being abailable in a quasi-open-source manner, but there is also a more important reason I like this: having the book available for reading online is a perfect model of how I envision open source software working.

I like printed, bound books. If knowledge if power, holding a book in my hand makes me feel powerful. I love the user interface that books have, and the learning curve for reading new books is nonexistant. In short, a good book (fiction or nonfiction!) is worth the money invested in it.

Now, this book is available for reading online. If I need the information in the book, I am free to browse through it on the web site. If I am lucky enough to own a notebook computer, I can even take the book on the road with me. However, I still prefer reading a physical book more than reading text on a computer screen. If I like the book I am reading online, there is a good chance I will want to invest in a more "appealing" version, the physical book.

Time to warp over to the software side of things. I like the security that comes from knowing tech support is a simple phone call away, and I like having well-written printed documentation that is easy to flip through.

So, when I find open source software, like the online book, I am able to get just as much knowledge out of it and I can make use of the software without risking too much on an investement. But, like the book, if I like what I see, I will want to move up a notch. I will want to gain the extra security and convenience of a realtionship with the company that maintains the software. I will be willing to pay for that extra service.

Wow...probably time to stop rambling! I just find the open source concept being tied into this on-line book very interesting when I analyze the parallels between books and software...true, the book is not technically "open" by the open source definition, but it nicely models the relationship between the "free" option and the "deluxe" option.