New My.UserLand.Com Engine

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/5/1999; 11:25:37 PM
Topic:New My.UserLand.Com Engine

Well, my eyes are really bleary, but the new version of My.UserLand.Com is up and running.

It's going to update much more frequently than the previous release. We can do that because we've offloaded the channel-reading to another server. Thru an elegant XML-RPCism that Rube Goldberg would love, one master, one slave, My.UserLand.Com just sends the URLs to another machine and it very patiently (a long timeout) requests each channel and saves the result in a folder that MUC can find.

It's all much more rational now. Better use of hardware, and it encourages channelmasters to update more frequently now that we're reading more frequently.

Basically we read every channel every hour. If it changed, it will show up in this list:

http://my.userland.com/viewUpdatedChannels

This list rolls over every night at midnight, and now it's almost midnight on Saturday, so don't expect a lot of fireworks in the next few hours (unless some RSSmasters are updating their files tonight).

That's about it for now, see ya in the morning!