Re: Internet Alchemy

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/14/1999; 6:28:18 PM
Topic:Internet Alchemy

I've purposly never added any of my generated channels to my.userland or my.netscape, so if you want to use the content it's up to you to take the initiative like Dave did.

This comment caused me to give this some more thought, and I'd rather not be responsible for these "synthetic" channels, so I disabled the nightly script, described above, and deleted the channels it added yesterday. In balance, I'd rather reward those developers that put the time in to supporting RSS, rather than clutter up the channel list. Part of what makes these sites interesting, as the tagline says, is that they are showing technical excellence, vision and courage.

To Jeff at Wired, let's see about getting Wired News to support RSS directly!

Also I don't agree that xml-dev is the place to discuss this. For the most part they don't seem to care about practical applications of XML. We've yet to establish a central place for practitioners to discuss and work together.