Re: Hidden failure of MSIE

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:6/23/1999; 7:51:33 AM
Topic:Hidden failure of Win2k

I see it differently. Here are my options:

  1. Keep lobbying MS. I do. All the time. In every conversation I have with a MS person I try to explain the problem. I see puzzled looks on their faces. Some of them understand the Office-protection issue. But most of them use the web as a read-only environment. They use email for communication. They use a separate app for email, not the web. From that POV it's impossible to see the opportunity. Aside from that, only lovers see opportunity. Fear-driven people only see threats. Microsoft culture is fear. They revel in it. This is their big weakness.

  2. Keep lobbying the web developers. Many if not most developers haven't clicked on this. The web could be an easy two-way medium. We will do more apps that exacerbate the problem. The browser is a lousy editor, but it's still infinitely easier than editing your web text in Word or Frontier.

  3. Keep lobbying AOL and Sun. (And Yahoo, Oracle, IBM, Corel, etc.) It would be good business to love the web. Don't any of them care about the users?? It would be a good business strategy. Start giving a shit about users.

  4. Keep lobbying the investors. Why aren't there any startups to take advantage of Microsoft's fear?