Re: I don't need another graduate degree

Author:Robert Cassidy
Posted:7/30/1999; 8:49:59 AM
Topic:The Doctor is In

Well, deleting isn't necessary so much as organizing.

Keep the core functinality together and clearly mark it's relationship. Keep the examples, nifty little gadgets, etc. together and well out of the way. Help me understand the conventions used within the product - tell me *right there* in Frontier (it's a database afterall).

There _should_ be ways to move things without breaking apps. And I know that you are opposed to breaking apps, but consider that right now MY apps are broken because I can't always figure out where everything is happening inside of Frontier. Right now you _are_ breaking apps, you just need to consider which is the more important group to Userland - those that have apps and know how to fix them, or those that are trying to develop apps and are constantly getting stuck.

Don't get me wrong - I love this product and keep coming back to it - it's truly unique and I wish it was used more. But I'm horribly, horribly frustrated at how little progress I can sometimes make in it _soley_ because of the lack of organization (organization that _I_ understand). Frontier is like the old Apple to me - tons of promise, but I can never seem to get all of the pieces quite together to fulfill that promise.

As for what to tell customers when things break? Tell them what everybody else does... things get crusty and sometimes you need to break a few things to get it all working well. Just document it, give people time to repond to the changes, and go. If all you are doing is moving things (versus changing parameters, etc.), you might even be able to provide some tools to assist with the process. Developers are often understanding when they don't feel that you are breaking the product for unnecessary reasons or to further other goals.