Today's scriptingNews Outline

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/1/1999; 6:20:09 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

DaveNet: Instant Messaging. "In the struggle for Instant Messaging, the winner, if there is one, will control real-time access to Internet users."

Bob Frankston and David Reed on DNS.

Eric Raymond issues a challenge. "The day I wrote this, Freshmeat carried twenty-two release announcements, of which three appear they might push state of the art in some respect, This was a slow day for Freshmeat, but I will be astonished if any reader reports as many as three likely innovations a month ion any closed-source channel."

Steve Blinn: Instant Messaging is Dead.

Odigo: "Find like minds. Pick up passengers. Give directions. Leave a mark." Warning! I installed Odigo, and I lost my desktop. I immediately uninstalled it and was glad to see my desktop again. Of course your mileage may vary.

Phil Wolff: Attention Constraints are the Driving Force.

Steven Levy on Dvorak: "That Dvorak is a cagey guy who knows recycling. After the original Mac came out he gave virtually the same gender-based criticism to it, dismissing not only the industrial design but the idea of using a mouse and pictures as girly stuff. (I wrote about this in Insanely Great.) His preference was the IBM AT computer, which he called 'a man's computer designed by men for men.' Both times he knew that the over-the-top sexism would be controversal and attention-getting. But it's interesting that his take in the original column was so wrong it can stand beside remarks like 'an individual has no use for a computer.' I wonder how this recent one will stand up."

What is your biggest regret in life? Or, put another way: What would you do differently if you had another chance?

Hey! I just started a new weblog on GrokSoup. Not bad. It only too five minutes. They still need to do some more work, I hit a bunch of errors, not like we don't have a few here too. ;->