Microsoft, please open HotMail.

Author:Phil Wolff
Posted:8/2/1999; 12:26:09 PM
Topic:Microsoft, please open HotMail.

As long as we're talking about opening up AOL's corporate database, which they've shelled out millions to promote and operate, let's expand the opportunity.

Let's open up email, Mr. Gates.

Expose your HotMail via IMAP or POP to other services (password required). Let mail.userland.com be your entry point and UI even though your email is being hosted on MSN HotMail. You make it easy to subsume my ISP's POP mail into HotMail; why not play fair and make it mutual?

And let's expose your HotMail and AOL subscriber base to the world via XML or LDAP. So Dave can put up metapeople.userland.com and I can find emails or chatters of all affiliations.

A more open, connected world. Syndication, y'all.

- Phil