Re: Feature Request for Windows Explorer

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/14/1999; 11:15:53 PM
Topic:Feature Request for Windows Explorer

I know how this kind of stuff goes. It's like having a nose that's out of joint. I guess it comes down to this, are we using an operating system or are we using a network?

There are still things that the OS does better than the network. I'm also looking at the Explorer as a survey of the hierarchy-browsing world. I'm wondering if it makes sense to do a new piece of software that understands how to browse Internet hierarchies as the Windows Explorer manages hierarchies on the LAN.

That's part of the reason why the timing of the re-exploration of old outliners is fortuitous.

BTW, I like the Explorer. Once I got over its weirdness it even gets comfortable. I had never worked with a multi-paned outliner before. I kind of like it!