Antique Smalltalk

Author:Dean Chouinard
Posted:8/17/1999; 4:55:57 AM
Topic:Antique Smalltalk

Regarding antique software, ObjectShare distributes an old version (Win16) of Smalltalk on their website, www.objectshare.com, along with a user interface builder. They call it Smalltalk Express but it is really the old Digitalk Smalltalk environment.

Back in the mid-90's I spent a lot of time in this environment studying OOP concepts and experimenting with the Win16 APIs. It was refreshing, as a programmer, to step into a foreign environment such as this (compared to the bread-and-butter stuff I was doing) and discard all my preconceptions and start anew. It is probably still useful in this respect.

-Dean