Re: Bill Joy a credit-taker?

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:8/19/1999; 9:09:27 AM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Thanks for the kind comments. As I saw your title, I was getting ready to be flamed!

It's true that the Perkins article doesn't say he invented Java, but others have. I don't really *know* for a fact that he didn't invent Java, but there's so much ill-will around it, that I suspect that it is true that he had nothing to do with it.

I do know that Java was in exile. I had actually been following it from afar, when it was part of the Wayne Rosing empire at Sun. I actually tried and failed to get in the loop at that time. (Early 90s.) But Rosing was more of a press phenom than a heads-down developer.

I have seen Joy on TV recently say that he invented Java. He talks about Java in the first person. I find this irritating. Not much more to it than that. He should keep doing it, because every time I get annoyed I learn something about myself.

Onward!