Re: Bill Joy a credit-taker?

Author:Kent Spaulding
Posted:8/19/1999; 1:08:09 PM
Topic:Today's scriptingNews Outline

Fair enough - I jsut have not heard him say that without mentioning Gosling too. I once read a history of the Green Project, from whence Java sprang as Oak, which said that Bill did have some involvement. The article was written long ago before the PR folks got in on the act. This gives Joy some claim to co-inventing Java. If I can find the link, I'll post it.

I've definately heard Bill (and many many others) give Gosling credit for the language itself. It would be most unfortunate if Joy were trying to usurp credit.

I've also heard him claim to have envisioned Sun being on this course from almost day one, he's wanted to get to Java and Jini for a long time. If true, that still doesn't make him THE inventor, at least not anymore than Al Gore's invention of the internet.

It appears that at best he played a small part in the invention of Java.