Re: Marijuana, health or legal issue

Author:Paul L. Bruno
Posted:8/23/1999; 1:35:09 PM
Topic:Carl Sagan and Marijuana

I'm personally of the opinion a lot less would if it were treated as a health issue, not a legal issue. Certainly a lot less kids in our cities would end up in jail.

Isn't that how the "This is your brain, this is your brain on drugs" campaigns approach it?

I have a hard time believing that grouping MJ with junk food is going to keep kids from trying it if the threat of getting busted hasn't gotten through. As much as we all know the phrase "part of a balanced breakfast" not many of us have regularly had a grapefruit, a glass of OJ, some toast and eggs, and a bowl of cheerios with slices of banana vs. 3 bowls of lucky charms followed by drinking the sugar-laden milk.

Not that I believe making the punishment tougher is going to do a whole lot.

Oh oh... Warning! Rant ahead! :-)

[PREEMPTIVE STRIKE: That spluttering sound you're about to hear is opinion stretched by unfocused anger expressed with tongue partially in cheek.]

Rather than making it a health issue or a legal issue, we should look at ourselves and see how we've painted ourselves into this corner through our hypocritical culture. Let's all give each other a pat on the back, we've come a long way from "I didn't inhale" to "I've been clean for at least 7 years" -- whoops, or so we thought.

I always thought Clinton was a 'dope' (sorry) for hedging on his past, and maybe we would have learned something about leaving our politicians' private lives alone from this past couple of years, but no, we must have all the details from George Junior. It doesn't matter whether he's telling the truth or not, or whether it matters. It's the DETAILS we must feed upon. Not that we would have asked if it were a drinking or smoking habit he gave up years ago. That just doesn't have quite the same titillation level; we've become numb and a little bit jaded to that minor league stuff.

Why should we care what our politicians do, none of us respects them anyway. Instead, let's all turn to our heroes in the entertainment world, which we can do by tuning into VH1 and getting their biographies which usually follow the same format (years of hard work followed by 'instant success' -- how does that happen exactly?, then troubles in private life, the band breaks up, drug addictions abound, marriages are broken, but look at them now, they're clean, all is forgiven, they're coming back for a big-money reunion tour).

We're willing to give our artists the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making mistakes, and we give our athletes the same, and we call them role models, never holding them up to that standard. But we look at our politicians and see sleazy, corrupt philanderers and liars who aren't ever considered role models and who are generally untrusted. Sure, they are VERY IMPORTANT PEOPLE because they hold the key to THE BOMB, so we hold them up for careful scrutiny in search of the slightest flaw. And treat them like garbage for having human failings.

Hey but as far as our rock n roll heroes go, they're just rebelling against the man. Being yourself speaks to the truth.

Oh boy I've got to stop drinking coffee...!