Where's the line??

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/2/1999; 7:08:44 PM
Topic:Who owns what parts of your webpage?

OK, let's approach it from the other side.

Is it OK if I copy MSNBC's home page, run a filter that replaces all occurrences of "MSNBC" with "UserLand"? Can I then store the resulting page at www.userland.com? And what if I write an agent script that reads their home page every minute and performs this translation? Would this be OK?

So, if this is not OK (clearly it's not), then where is the line? And why is it there?