Re: If I were Microsoft's Marketing God

Author:Luke Tymowski
Posted:9/19/1999; 1:34:35 PM
Topic:If I were Microsoft's Marketing God

Yes. You're right. HP donated the hardware. The server actually is co-located. It doesn't sit in his office. He's never had a hardware problem. The way he writes his book you get the impression he can keep it going on his own provided he doesn't run into a disaster.

His system is very simple, though. AOLServer, Oracle, and his custom software, which is open-source. It's not as complex as the Slashdot setup, for example. (The more pieces you have the more likely something is to go wrong with something somewhere - Dave's friend Murphy.)

And it's very tricky, I find anyway, trying to find an Intel equivalent to his system. One reads that the HP, SUN, etc. hardware is capable of much more throughput than Intel-based systems. But is that comparing current systems or stuff from several years ago? I don't know.

But it's a very good way for him to advertise the capabilities of their system.

It looks like Apache/Zope on a mid-level PC is more than a match for Greenspun's low-end system which can support 5 million hits per day easily. Zope alone on a high-end Intel box ought to be able to keep up roughly with his photo.net back-end.

I was just curious if anyone has tested Frontier with similar loads.