Re: Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

Author:Akilesh Rajan
Posted:10/9/1999; 11:13:32 AM
Topic:Creating an Aggregator without XML-RPC

I appreciate the offer and info! But come to think of it, I guess I am actually more curious about something with a slightly different focus. Let me try to rephrase.

I want to use a scheduled task to run a script in a language like Cold Fusion. I'd want this task to read over XML files at regular intervals (like Userland), and use the chunks of information for various purposes:

Generating "channels"

Feeding into a database

But, if I'm not mistaken, in order to generate channels or feed information into a database, your program would have to be able to parse the XML file and realize blah is a distinct item. It would also have to be able to render the XML into HTML. It would also have to realize that everything in-between the tags is a related item, etc.

I don't know the technical terms of the software I am looking for--but in order to generate channels or feed into a database on my own, would I have to build it myself? Is there pre-made software that does this? If I had to build it myself, what level of difficulty does it involve? Thanks!