Re: Multiple DG, Membership & Logon

Author:Stephen B. Waters
Posted:11/2/1999; 7:38:57 AM
Topic:Multiple DG, Membership & Logon

Thanks for your advice. I did straighten htmlInterfaces.root.newsStoryDG.#prefs.defaultMembershipGroup and htmlInterfaces.root.newsStoryDG.edit.#members out.

The real stumbling block was that I had put a #urls in [htmlInterfaces.root].logon to try to make it apply specifically to my discussion groups. This caused a problem when I followed Mike Mell's procedure reported in a Script Meridian Community list email titled "Re: membership woth mainResponder" sent 13 Sep 1999.

His good advice was to move a copy of [htmlInterfaces.root].logon into [htmlInterfaces.root].newsStoryDG and rename it public and to change the urls copied into [htmlInterfaces.root].newsStoryDG.#urls from config.

My mistake was not to remove the #urls that earlier I had copied into logon. So I had TWO #urls and the original took precedence over the modified ones at the top level of newsStoryDG.

Mike Mell's procedure as reported by Ken Dow follows: > Well, well well. Here is what I did to give myself and others secure access to a gdb in mainResponder.

> 1. copy [htmlInterfaces.root].logon to the top level of mySite. (by top level, I mean at the same level as mySite.#ftpSite)

> 2. rename mySite.logon to "public" // the magic name

> 3. copied [config.root].mainResponder.urls to the top level of my site.

> 4. renamed urls to #urls

> 5. adjusted all the urls paths to "http://mydomain.com/mySite/public" except for memberHome which became "http://mydomain.com/mySite/" // left off "public"

> 6. rebuilt the public.#glossary deleted public.#ftpSite

> 7. added mySite.#members (string) == "mySite" to the top level of the site

> 8. duplicated [members.root].default

> 9. renamed [members.root].default #1 to "mySite"

> 10. edited [members.root].mySite: [members.root].mySite.mailTemplate to contain the url of the site home page

[members.root].mySite.cookieName == "mySite"

[members.root].mySite.mailReturnAddress == mike@nthwave.net