Re: Bugs in Mac IE 4.5?

Author:John DeSoi
Posted:11/14/1999; 9:22:22 PM
Topic:Bugs in Mac IE 4.5?

I sent this one to MS recently. Drives me crazy.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 16:06:12 -0400 To: Internet Explorer Bug Report <iebug@microsoft.com> From: John DeSoi Subject: cache control defect IE 4.5 Macintosh

IE 4.5 Macintosh does not honor HTTP cache control headers. My server is sending the header

Cache-Control: No-Cache

with the original page load, yet IE displays the cached page for subsequent page loads (at least when the access time between page loads is relatively small). For example, if I click on a link to a no-cache page, hit back, and then click on the link again, IE does not re-request the page. This is the case even though I have my preference setting to update the cache "Always" (advanced settings).

I have tried Max-Age=0 as the cache control directive, but the problem is the same. IE also shows a cached page if I send an "Expires" directive with a date far in the past. IE 4.0 and 5.0 on Windows appear to handle the cache control directives correctly.

Thanks for your help in resolving this. This issue makes it impossible to use IE on the Mac for interactive database applications.

Let me know if I can provide further information,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.