Cheap servers

Author:Dave Polaschek
Posted:11/15/1999; 3:30:44 PM
Topic:Rewrite of surveys.userland.com

Just a $2000 box serving that app along with a bunch of other websites.

I've been thinking about this lately. Frontier seems to run pretty well even on a Mac 7100/66. This is a powerful thing. A used 7100 with monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc is available for around $250 today. That makes for a pretty cheap web-server. If you decide you need more compute power, you can upgrade to a 250MHz G3 for another $250.

When I get things a little less flaky (I'm still tweaking the hardware and software configurations), I'll report back on how it all holds up, but for now, it's looking like it'll be acceptable performance.

-DaveP