Pages that use PathArgs are miscached

Author:David Luebbert
Posted:12/8/1999; 8:45:58 AM
Topic:Pages that use PathArgs are miscached

I have config.mainResponder.globals.flRenderingCache set to true on my system. When I created my Manila sites, they inherited flRenderingCache set to true in their prefs tables. This setting apparently causes the links generated by the Pictures button on the "Editors only" menu of Manila sites to malfunction. When a user clicks on on of these Picture links, which have the form http://ManilaWebsite/pictures/viewer$n where n is the message num, mainResponder processes the message number stores it in pta^PathArgs and places ManilaWebsite/pictures/viewer into the rendering cache within cache.root. If the user clicks on the link for a different picture, the originally cached pic is delivered since it still resides in the cache. I can workaround this problem by turning off flRenderingCache in the prefs for my Manila site, but this causes relatively poor response time for the Manila site. It seems like the real problem here is that the link's PathArg plays no role in Frontier's rendering cache. If I request http://ManilaWebsite/pictures/viewer$7, the cache entry name should be {ManilaWebsite].pictures.viewer$7 not {ManilaWebsite].pictures.viewer as currently occurs. Alternatively, the PathArg should be copied as a separate field in the cache entry and this should be checked when the cache is validated.