Re: Netscape and CSS

Author:Bill Seitz
Posted:12/10/1999; 10:55:46 AM
Topic:Netscape and CSS

I agree that in the end Netscape will probably have the better product supported on more platforms.

But I think, given the mindshare and passing-time factors, that a better decision would have been to release a standards-compliant Navigator-only browser for Win32, then working on (a) other platforms and (b) non-browser features (IM, email, etc.). Likewise, I think less work should have been put into 4.5/6/7, which has amounted to rearranging deskchairs on the Titanic.

This would clearly not be the best answer for everyone, but I don't think the current situation is the best solution for anyone. (Ah the joys of second-guessing other people's prioritization criteria....)

It's a tough call as to whether Netscape5/Mozilla or Win2000 get the vaporware of the year award. (Win is later, but it's lots bigger.) http://www.wired.com/news/commentarySection/0,1292,32750,00.html