Re: Netscape and CSS

Author:Jason Levine
Posted:12/11/1999; 10:12:34 AM
Topic:Netscape and CSS

Wha? In my experience, comments like this are made by companies who are terrified that comparison of their product with its competitors will expose it for the nothing-new-here thing that it is.

In response to Andrew's statements about M11 of Mozilla, I downloaded it last night and used it for about two hours, and honestly, there is truly nothing new about it. It still browses the web, it still has all of the bloated extras built into it, and it still doesn't do CSS right. (For example, I have a table class named "frame" that has {border-width: thin; border-style: solid; border-color: black} (among other things); Mozilla M11 only displays the border on the right and bottom of the table. Does this make sense? The CSS2 table test page at http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/css/test/tborder2.html just looks terrible in Mozilla M11.)

Mozilla may be "based on a new architecture," but that's an internal-to-Netscape thing -- they put a new rendering engine in, they made it easier to add other things to the engine of the browser, and the like -- but nothing about that architecture is new to the world of web browsers. Saying that this is an Earth-shattering move is like saying that Ford changing the frame of the Taurus is an "architecture-changing innovation that will lead to a new way of thinking." Maybe within Ford, but certainly not in the rest of the world.

The Wizard of Oz differentiated himself by his booming voice and seeming magic, but in the end, he was still the shriveled man behind the curtain...