Re: Only on the web

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/12/1999; 1:48:40 PM
Topic:Participatory democracy

The line.. If two people flame at each other on a mail list or a DG it's a much bigger problem than if two people flame at each other from their own home pages.

I believe that's true, but I don't know why. I think it says something about humans. There's a sense that "that's his space not mine" so that's less of a concern, somehow.

At a technical level, the software is virtually identical. The EditThisPage.Com websites are DGs. But there's this line that gets crossed in there somewhere, where it becomes a website. That's the line.

I thought of misnomer because you've been asking those kinds of questions on your site lately.