Why I Like What UserLand Are Doing

Author:Paul Howson
Posted:1/6/2000; 8:48:50 PM
Topic:Why I Like What UserLand Are Doing

In the three years since I stumbled across Scripting News, I’ve found it to be an essential resource for keeping up with ideas about the internet and computing.

Not only does it have an interesting and eclectic range of links to other web sites and articles, it also carries the personal stamp of Dave Winer, its originator.

Although I have never met Dave nor spoken to him (I live in Australia), I have a strong impression of his personality and philosophy which comes through in his commentaries on all and sundry topics.

He is clearly a person with a passion for what he is doing and a sense of idealism - which is a uncommon thing nowadays, especially in the world of computers and the internet.

One thing I find appealing is the singlemindedness with which Dave and his team are pursuing their vision and their willingness to collaborate rather than compete with other people’s efforts. This is surely a sign of maturity.

Paul Howson.