Patent Issued for the Brain

Author:Michael Simcich
Posted:3/11/2000; 8:46:31 AM
Topic:Patent Issued for the Brain

Natrificial (www.thebrain.com) has had a patent approved for their "Brain" technology. It sounds like they are attempting to lock up the market for dynamic mindmap-type interfaces. If this stands it's a very bad thing, IMHO. This is an area that is just starting to open up, and a patent like this has the potential to stifle ongoing and future interface innovation.

According to Natrificial’s press release, dated March 7, the patent covers The Brain's interface which "allows any piece of information to be linked and accessed from multiple locations within the interface - giving users the ability to retrieve and navigate data by association".

I use the Brain, I like it a lot. But I really, really, don't want Natrificial to own a patent that will ultimately prevent or hinder similar dynamic linking interfaces from being developed. If that's what the patent is going to amount to it has the potential to impact the development of computer interfaces in a very negative way, far exceeding the damages that might be caused by the types of e-commerce related patents that Amazon has been awarded (which are also a real bummer).

They are pursuing several other related patents too. Here is a part of their press release:

"In recognition of the innovative and unique nature of TheBrain, the U.S. Patent Office awarded Patent No. 6,031,537. The patent is the first issued of several filed by TheBrain.com. Its issuance creates a significant barrier to entry for companies considering developing similar technology and solidifies TheBrain.com’s position as the leading provider of visual information environments."

Well, I don't think the rest of us are going to benefit if Natrificial's corners the market for what seems to be a pretty basic navigational technology.

What's most pitiful about it is that Natrificial, who has to be regarded as the leader by miles in this arena, feels the compulsion to tie the hands and feet of any potential competitors. They already field a great piece of software, have no real competition that I'm aware of, and give no indication that they are ready to start sitting on their laurels. They don't need to resort to fits of legal possessiveness; they already rule the roost.

Using the Brain has been a liberating experience, but this kind of rubbish really takes the fun out of it. I've been recommending The Brain to others for a while but that's obviously going to change.

How broad a reach does a patent like this have? I haven't read it (or any patents for that matter); I'm just hoping that someone else is up to speed on this.