scriptingNews outline for 4/4/00

Author:Dave Winer

One more DaveNet: If I only had a brain.

AP: "Computer programs used to scramble electronic messages are protected by the First Amendment because those codes are a means of communication among programmers, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday."

I did a PacBell-Conxion Outage Whiteboard.

Seattle Times: "Winer compared Microsoft's position on the Internet to IBM's dominance when the PC began gaining popularity in the mid-1980s. "IBM tried to clamp down on the PC and lost it all," he said.

Dan Gillmor: "Microsoft is officially a corporate lawbreaker. The rule of law, at least for the moment, is victorious over the tyranny of untrammeled capitalism."

XML-RPC: WWW9 Panel on XML and Protocols. 5/17/00, Amsterdam. XML-RPC, SOAP, ICE, etc. Could be a foodfight.

I had dinner this evening with Glenn Davis of Project Cool. It had been a long time since we had met. I'm glad we did. Of course we went to Jing Jing and had Spicy Noodles. I want to see if we can work with the Web Standards Project, which Glenn is part of. Maybe we could all eat Spicy Noodles together.

Jeff Keller's pictures of Pac Bell Park.

They're diggin at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Tim O'Reilly: The Coming Ecology of Ebook Publishing.

Track-PacBell says at 6:59AM there were 43 outages since 3:17PM Sunday. The line was down 7.8% of the time.

I think I'm going to visit Conxion's office with a big pair of scissors and cut their line to the outside world. I'll reconnect it periodically so that they are only down 7.8 percent of the time. That should be OK with them, based on their lack of response to the 43 emails that Track-PacBell has already sent to Conxion, including their CEO Antonio Salerno.

Conxion makes bold claims on their website about uptime. "If we’re down for 26 seconds, our customers get one month of hosting free. Compare that to the industry standard: one day free for 15 minutes of downtime."

By either standard Conxion owes us a lot of free hosting. Our line has been down for 185 minutes in the last two days.

BTW, Conxion chose PacBell as the T1 vendor, not UserLand, so the finger pointing is pretty ridiculous. It would be like UserLand sending its customers to Microsoft when there's a problem because we use their C compiler to build Frontier.