Re: First Amendment

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:4/13/2000; 8:26:43 AM
Topic:First Amendment

(Whether or not these are good business practices is an entirely different matter.)

Exactly, that's the only issue here. The issue is about business practices. Conxion makes claims that are now in question. It's only fair that they disclose to future and current customers that they take a role in editorial policy on sites whose content flows through their pipes.

They also call into question the editorial integrity of every publication that uses them to connect to the Internet. Doing a self-examination on this, I *did* hold back for fear of retribution from Conxion. I must never do this again.

Ironically, fear of retribution only serves to keep the level of competence *down* in Conxion's industry. That is a big concern for me, as we move off Conxion, what will we find in those service agreements, and how will Exodus, for example, handle our criticism if we should need to criticize them?

Another question, is there a double-standard here? Luckily Dan Gillmor's site is hosted on our Seattle LAN, and Lance Knobel's is on Exodus. Would they respond to these people the same way they responded to us? I wonder about that. Do they place a higher value on editorial integrity at a print publication than on an Internet publication?