Re: Why do artists have their own software companies?

Author:Nick Sweeney
Posted:4/20/2000; 1:31:50 PM
Topic:Why do artists have their own software companies?

Word isn't marketed to writers, though. It's sold to offices. Which means that writers are more or less forced to adopt Word, because "that's the only format we deal with now".

There was a piece in the Independent last week about a novelist who epitomises the writer's desire to negate "technology":

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/Digital/My_Technology/index.shtml

"I just don't care about machinery. All I need is word-processing, cut-and-paste and a screen I can read down. I do a lot of shifting paragraphs around pages, and in that sense I think word processing is wonderful."

Writers don't fit into the classic MS Office marketing model, whereby users feel compelled to upgrade.