Possible Solution to the Explorer problem

Author:Matthew Barger
Posted:6/29/2000; 10:29:48 AM
Topic:Possible Solution to the Explorer problem

Dave

Having experienced the eternal hell which is an Explorer slowdown numerous times, I've got a potential tip from David Farquhar's book, Optimizing Windows for Games, Graphics and Multimedia. (A fantastic book IMHO!) The tip was written to work with Win95/98 but it should work with NT as well. (It has worked fine on my NT machine, numerous occasions) If you feel like digging into the registry read on.

  1. Run regedit.
  2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersion
  3. You'll see 3 folders: Run, RunOnce, and RunOnceEx
  4. Inside each of these folders are keys that launch small external NT daemons during boot-up.
  5. Make a backup of each folder with the RegistryExport... menu
  6. Delete the keys that are from Lyra (if there are any)
  7. Check first with trying to get rid of "loadwc.exe". It's an IE webcheck/browser upgrade dll. This little bugger made installation of some network programs I had a real bear.
  8. This trick has saved me hours of maintenance time. It's solved everything from explorer problems to software upgrades. You'd be surprised at the mischief what those small, errant .dll's and .exe's do in the background.

Hope this helps. Good luck!