paying for music

Author:Jacob Levy
Posted:7/31/2000; 7:21:42 AM
Topic:paying for music

Hey Dave,

With respect, I think both you and Lisa Napoli are missing the point. I'm certainly not in your situation where I have already paid for *all* the music I download from Napster.

My situation is: I generally havent paid, I want to sample, and I will pay a *reasonable* amount for the music I want. I generally do not download music I already have, instead I use Napster (and similar services) to find out about music I don't yet have or have never heard before, and if I like it, yeah, I'll pay. But *NOT* $16.99 per CD if that CD contains only one thing I really want. No way.

I believe my situation is *much more* prevalent and common than your situation. Because they can, the music industry is trying to tell me to take a hike, and to stick with the old model of CD slavery and be happy. I tell them to take a hike and forget it, I'm not going back to CD buying where 95% of what I pay for is garbage.

I'm not going to budge, because I have Napster. So, until they change their ways, until the music industry provides a *convenient way* to pay, noone is getting paid, not the artists nor the execs. There *is* money being lost, there *is* revenue being lost to "piracy" here. That's why they're in a panic. Their old model is being challenged by something so much better for the clients (can you say CD slaves) that they're realizing that their control is slipping away. Lower the price of CDs to $3.99 instead? Close but still no cigar. I won't go back to the old model. No more CDs for me.

The rest IMHO is just FUD.