Re: What is RDF?

Author:Paul Snively
Posted:8/21/2000; 4:45:17 PM
Topic:What is RDF?

R.V.Guha: RDF was the result of many people's hard work. Ora Lassila, Ralph Swick, Dan Connolly, Andrew Layman, Dan Brickley, Eric Miller, Tim BL, and many others.

This is an excellent point, of course; many people take an active interest in, and make an active contribution to, the foundation of encoding semantics.

I do not and have not claimed credit for RDF. Some of the ideas in MCF provided input into RDF. Even the MCF ideas were simply concepts borrowed from Knowledge Representation.

The evolution seems clear to me, and for good reasons or ill, you seem to be the most visible person associated with that evolution. I have to say that I'm curious, given the background in Knowledge Representation, why there's no commitment to inferencing connected with RDF?

Having asked that, perhaps impertinently given your apparent desire to dillute what you seem to perceive as an overidentification of RDF with R.V.Guha :-), let me just say that I appreciate whatever your contribution to RDF may have been, and your efforts on MCF and Cyc as well.