Re: Want to tell the list?

Author:Zac

Dave, if you really want the name that much, IMHO, you can have it. It's not worth it (to me) to bother fighting over it. I never really like the name that much anyway. I don't know how well this goes over with the rest of the list, but that's how I feel about it.

Well actually what you apper to be doing is suggesting a name change because you want Dave to stop complaining.

I'm not sure why but this just seems wrong.

I think that the folks in charge of the RSS 1.0 format should, at this point, know that there are a large number of people who aren't happy with the new format. I'm not sure how many commetns it takes for them to understand this but quite a few users of the format don't seem to want or need the new additions to RSS.

So I think a name change is important so that these very different visions of the format maintain their distinct natures.

I've read quite a few psots on the RSS-dev list and also been on the syndication list and I am really struck by what I think is an elitist position on the part of the RSS format team. Comments about end users not having to understand the format or about how it was all going to be processed via computer anyhow are very worrysome.

It was people like me and Lynn Siprelle and many, many others using the exisitng RSS format that helped to popularise it and we own it as much as anyone. And if you and Rael and the other folks working on this new format find it flawed and less than useful then fine...go make a new format, but don't call it RSS becasue it isn't.

So address those issues instead.