Re: Public Domain.

Author:William Crim
Posted:9/10/2000; 3:14:39 PM
Topic:Guido and Richard

I'm sure just about every web server probably has a little bit of NCSA's web server. If I recall that was Public Domain.

Not too much software has been made explicitly public domain. I think people might assume that if they just publish code without a license, that it is public domain, but that isn't the case. I'd assume most of the supposedly public domain software out there is really software with full copyright that simply isn't being enforced. If I recall, many people used to think their code was public domain until their employers and universities informed them differently.

I can't really think of too many EXPLICITLY public domain pieces of code.