Re: Forget Sex

Author:Micah Alpern
Posted:9/11/2000; 2:29:30 PM
Topic:Re: Forget Sex

Hugh Mackay: "Forget sex. Forget power. Forget food, shelter or the need to belong. The more I listen to people talking about their lives, and the more I ponder the highs and lows of human behaviour, the more I'm convinced that, in a society like ours, the most fundamental of all human needs is the need to be taken seriously. Everything else flows from that."

The psychologists agree. They call it self esteem. Ernest Becker talks about the need to see yourself as "an object of primary value in an orderly universe".

See Becker's book Denial of Death for more interesting ideas on this theme.