Re: Being taken seriously.

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:9/11/2000; 2:18:56 PM
Topic:fork

David, the next step down that path is to realize that the need for recognition from others is all projection, that the only kind of recognition that really is satisfying is recognition from yourself.

So when Joe says "Jane never listens to me!" what he's really saying is that the version of Jane inside himself never listens to him, which is another way of saying that Joe doesn't listen to Joe.

And after one breathes into that for a couple of years you realize that you weren't saying anything worth hearing anyway.

That's the Buddhist philosophy, which I believe is true. Another way to say the same thing is "It's even worse than it appears." While you're laughing about that remember that no one gets out of this alive.

On the other hand, we're all humans on this DG, so there are plenty of times we get pissed at each other for not listening. ";->"