What do I have to do for the Internet?

Author:Matt Jadud
Posted:9/27/2000; 1:12:39 PM
Topic:What do I have to do for the Internet?

Perhaps too open-ended... but my question is in that spirit.

What do I have to do to get RU under a *NIX? RU is still Frontier, which I imagine is mostly portable C/C++. But, I don't know that.

Frontier is a DB. How far can the interface be separated from that? As far as the HTTP protocol will reach, as far as I can tell.

So, my question is this: if I write an outliner for *NIX that understands XML-RPC, how much further do I have to go to see my dream of having RU run on the OS that I use most every day? Is the interface the issue? Is it porting the back-end? Is it a combination of both?

I know these are complex questions - and people have whined endlessly about wanting Frontier under Linux. Perhaps this is the same thing, stated over again. I don't want it to be; I want this. And I'd rather not reimplement the entire thing - I'd rather just write a new client to a Manila server - reimplement the interface. Let Manila remain the app it is today. Outlines. *NIX.

I get this urge to ask every now and then, and usually tell myself "Don't bother asking - you'll just get smacked down." Or, "They don't have the resources to possibly do what you're asking about, so don't bother..." I'm asking what I can do to bring what I consider a killer app (because RU is getting it right in ways that Frontier wasn't quite) to the platform I use every day.

Well, what do I have to do? What would be involved in making this happen? Is it possible, and what would it take? I'd honestly like to know.

Dreaming,

Matt