Salon's value

Author:Lance Knobel
Posted:9/29/2000; 6:59:25 AM
Topic:Salon's value

I'm not sure about your analysis, Dave. There have always been some great publications, like Harper's, The Atlantic, New Republic, etc, which had wonderful reputations, but were not worth very much. Generally, this kind of media has attracted an angel -- either a foundation or a rich, well-meaning owner (perhaps fuelled by ego) -- to keep them alive.

The publications that have been worth something have either attracted considerable subscription/newstand revenue or advertising revenue. That's where the money, and value, is. With a few exceptions, we're all trying to figure out where the analogue to this is on the Web.

I'm sure value will be found by many. But Salon will not be able to claim it by reputation or standing alone. It won't even be able to claim it by attracting millions of users, unless it can either charge for its content or convince advertisers to pay sufficient amounts to make the exercise worthwhile.

Sorry to be all old economy over this, but the correlation between editorial quality and reputation and value of a media asset is not always a straight line (World Link excepted, of course).