scriptingNews outline for 3/25/2001

Author:Dave Winer

Sanjay Parthasarathy: The Simplest Way to Define .NET.

Dann Sheridan: "DNS was the first true P2P application."

Edd Dumbill: "It should be made clear that UDDI is neither open nor a standard. It's a specification being developed by a closed consortium of vendors."

Yesterday's experiment is today's source release.

Dan Gillmor: "I hope we don't end up having to take literally the legendary admonition given by crusty old editors to green reporters: 'If your mother says she loves you, check it out.'"

Phil Ackley sent a screen shot editing a Manila site on Mac OS X. It has a system-wide spell checker which OmniWeb appears to use.

More news on Jake's SOAP Journal.

PC Forum starts today. Our friends Rohit and Adam will debut there and Clay Shirky will do a panel on P2P. And Jeff Bezos closes the show. Remember him? He's the no-more-pesos guy. You know, the Internet piñata.

Today is the anniversary of ManilaPalooza. It was a happy day. We got to see so many cool people. Susan, Matt, Ken, Phil, Sheila, Dan, Kate, Fredrik, Andre, Craig, Jim, Erin, Bryan, Jeff, Dan, Andrew, Jimmi, Raymond, Tom, Bierman, Brent, Faisal, and dozens more.

They came from Ontario, Austin, Utah, LA, Germany, to hang out face-to-face. We had demos, talks, hugs, handshakes, pictures (lots!), margueritas. We had outages, oy did we have outages. But we had fun! Yeah, it was great. Let's do it again soooon.

Following ManilaPalooza was Wiener Schnitzel, spicy noodles, Brent's birthday, the destruction of the KingDome, and more outages.