scriptingNews outline for 4/20/2001

Author:Dave Winer

Zeldman: "I am wearing the pants of a much larger man."

Branscum: "I'm scanning Craig's List for a more lucrative job."

Cayce Ullman, of ActZero, is making a splash in SOAP interop. I had dinner with Cayce (pronounced Cay-See) and Scott Olechowski, at Jing Jing on Wed night. They have 200 servers at Exodus behind a big pipe and they want to do cool stuff with SOAP. They got first-round money last year from Intel and angels, but after the dotcom bust are switching models. They're smart and ambitious. They want to make a big bet on SOAP. We're going to help them.

Simon Fell, who we've also been working with on SOAP interop, got interested in RSS and wants a new feature. Instead of going back to the Syndication list, a venue with much history, I started a new list with a simple charter. The focus is on meeting the needs of authors, tool-makers and content engineers while retaining compatibility with the widely deployed base of content. I opened a new document for notes on RSS 0.93.

LBJ: "Let us reason together."

Morning pointers Permanent link to 'Morning pointers' in archives.

John Dvorak: "I suppose now is as good a time as any to air my complaints about Microsoft's decision to make its next iteration of the operating system into nagware."

Lance Knobel: "The best things are resolutely amateur, but done with what we now call professionalism."

SF Gate: "To his credit, the soft-spoken Hertzfeld has never pitched Eazel as a get-rich-quick scheme."

Thomas Jefferson: "Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter."

William Randolph Hearst: "You furnish the pictures, and I'll furnish the war."

Ehud Lamm: "Real integrity (the kind you don't often find) also means weighing the facts, and [being] willing to change your mind."

Bob Dylan: "Well, I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them."

Firesign Theatre: "I think we're all bozos on this bus."

Dilbert's Pointy-Haired Boss: "Our company values are trust, integrity and teamwork."