People who think

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:12/20/1998; 12:00:04 PM
Topic:Cardboard Cutout People

Right on Phil. You understand what I'm trying to do. There are lots of unmoderated places on the net for people to freely express themselves without limitations. Here I'm looking for the right mix of freedom and moderation, with one audience in mind, people who think.

The Mail Pages were great because there was an active filter (me) that kept the personal comments and repetition to a minimum. But as I've said before I want to try a new way, one that allows me to use the web and automated tools more. I think I'm beginning to figure it out.

Notice the hit counts on the messages I point to from the Scripting News home page are higher than the ones I don't point to. If you want your ideas to gain broader exposure, then you must discipline yourself, don't make powerless or insulting or mindless comments. I won't dial into those.

But if we're doing something constructive, I'm totally open to bringing back the Mail Pages, or something like them, where I gather the most interesting comments that twist thru an issue and are pleasant for people with minds to read.

A few weeks ago I wrote a piece asking where the thinkers congregate on the web. Of course in the back of my mind I hope to build one of those places.

http://www.scripting.com/davenet/98/11/earthsWebsite.html

Dave