Re: Brent's Screenshot-Scripting Windows

Author:Jim Roepcke
Posted:12/21/1998; 12:15:12 PM
Topic:Brent's Screenshot-Scripting Windows

Dave said:

I was hoping I'd hear from you on that! I was taking a stab in the dark, figuring that ASC was the same mechanism that IIS used to implement ASPs. I could be full of it, it wouldn't be the first time.

I could be wrong too, but my understanding is that the ASP objects are very dependent on the IIS process. It should be possible to get ASP working in Frontier, but it would require tons of effort -- only O'Reilly's done it so far I think. Last time I checked even Apache for Windows couldn't do it.

Active ScriptControl just initializes a scripting namespace for you to work in. It's definitely not the same thing IIS uses... IIS does a lot of what ASC does itself, low level.

Dave Said:

"We shipped Frontier a couple of years before Apple shipped AppleScript. In the Windows market there are lots of people who know VB Script and JavaScript, Perl, Tcl, etc."

But when OSA came out, I understand you changed Frontier to use OSA instead of (or in addition to) UserLand IAC. I was just pointing out that *my guess* is Apple didn't do that for you :-)

But for every Windows user that's an ActiveX Scripter, there's got to be hundreds or thousands that aren't. I don't think this is a big issue, assuming glue gets built up.