Legacy coding and XML

Author:garret p vreeland
Posted:3/3/1999; 10:27:57 AM
Topic:Legacy coding and XML

I'm new here and new to Frontier, so if I screw up, let me know.

I'm curious. I'm just venturing into XML, reading all the books & websites, and was wondering if any of the major archive folks (Library of Congress, etc.) have jumped on the XML bandwagon yet. I looked at LoC (in their employment page) and saw ads for Oracle, which tells me nothing ...they may have something custom programmed or not.

I guess what I'm looking for is a flavor of the old Dewey Decimal System for libraries. Maybe I'm missing the point of XML, but if there's a general archival standard adopted (a recommended set of XML structure tags and a specific DTD), I feel people will accept the technology more readily and there will be a certain amount of compatibility guaranteed (at least for archives). Or is making a DTD so simple as to make "standards" a non-issue?

The reason I'm asking, and the reason I'm learning Frontier, is that I'm bidding for a state project, and the concept of content management, XML and legacy information is the best solution I've come across. They have an enormous amount of archival records and other information which would be great for public access, as well as many technically-challenged employees.

I'm trying to get up on this stuff as fast as possible, but it IS a bit of a steep climb at times ... thanks in advance!!