Teaching Programming to an 11-year-old

Author:Larry Yudelson
Posted:5/26/2000; 11:15:30 AM
Topic:Teaching Programming to an 11-year-old

My fifth grader is beginning to complain about being bored by math. When I was her age, I had written my first Fortan program (my dad is a professor, so I had a 360 to play with) and we reading the BASIC introduction, "My Computer Likes Me."

Somehow, though, Visual Basic seems like a much less intuitive process than writing text-based games, or programming graphics on an Apple II.

Should I buy the next $100 Apple IIe I can get my hands on? Has Smalltalk become a language for kids, as Creative Computing promised so many years ago? Any advice?