Re: Evangelizing Frontier

Author:David Singer
Posted:7/12/2000; 8:55:43 PM
Topic:Evangelizing Frontier

I agree completely that it's a story-telling problem, but let me disagree with one of your points: There's already too much stuff in the margins.

It's very hard for a newbie (me!) to figure out which of the sites in the Userland box do what and where to discuss which pieces of the enterprise. I'm still trying to figure out where to ask questions about the htmlFavorites.js script, for example, not to mention which prefs page does what. Do I list the weblogs I don't want to see on the http://www.userland.com/updates page on my prefs for weblogs.com or userland.com? Why does http://www.scripting.com/discuss give me a 404 instead of the discussion group for Scripting News? Where's the documentation for Frontier? Who's "Dr. Matt" and is his stuff official and current?

I'm starting to worry about this for my internal Manila project; I can't point people at the Userland sites for help if I can't figure out which ones are appropriate myself.

So I think part of the problem is providing a Baedecker for the mass of stuff you've already got on the Web so that people can find what they want instead of hitting dead-ends. Marginal notes are most useful for the owner of a book, not someone who picks it up later. Just ask Andrew Wiles!