Evangelizing Frontier

Author:Russell Lipton
Posted:7/12/2000; 5:06:33 PM
Topic:Evangelizing Frontier

Re Dave's question on scripting.com about turning more people on to Frontier.

I mentioned in my weblog last nite that 90 days might be a bit better for exercising Frontier (though 60 is amply generous). Assuming that folks (like myself) have to eval Frontier in spare time until/if they learn enough to make the plunge, 90 days might afford just a tad more space to close the deal.

Otherwise, it's hard to find anything to complain about, to say the least.

A fully functioning version of Frontier for 60 days, with support. Gripe. Not.

Manila-Pike - available with-or-without purchasing Frontier. Gripe. Not.

The price for Frontier is extremely reasonable, not to mention the deal for educators, students and non-profits. Gripe. Not if you know software.

I think it's all marketing at this point (note: that is not always a negative word)! Technical marketing, media marketing and, most important, turning on end-users. Story-telling in a vast variety of forms. Isn't that the Userland game anyway? Stories.

"Packaging," not in the sense of phony PR but maybe a bit of polish of various types (documentation, white papers, sample apps, enhanced ways to call attention to efforts within the community - both technical and content-driven).

I say packaging because there is a heck of a lot of meat available; maybe it could be a bit more visibly, thoroughly and elegantly presented? A Yahoo-like Userland weblog? ;-)

The biggest problem (if you want to call it that) is cluetrain-ish. Userland is going against-the-mainstream flow of software, publishing and journalism. Big-time. Cluetrain found an audience so it can be done. But it is a challenge.