Re: Evangelizing Frontier

Author:Dave Winer
Posted:7/12/2000; 9:06:09 PM
Topic:Evangelizing Frontier

I'm going to start by saying that I read your whole message and believe I understand your concern, except I don't know what a Baedecker is, perhaps you can explain.

Now, Scripting News cannot be an index for UserLand.Com, it's a publication on its own. I can clutter the margins if I want, it's not owned by UserLand and should not be presented to your users as a resource for them, without warning them that it's not a company publication. We've got in trouble in the past, when people objected to me taking positions on things like the death penalty, which they felt was inappropriate for our company to do, and I agree. UserLand has no position on that, but I do. Scripting News is my place.

Can I offer some suggestions?

There are three levels here.

1. Manila user

2. Manila sysadmin

3. Frontier programmer/sysadmin

Manila users should go to Manila-Newbies for help.

Manila sysadmins, people who run Manila sites, will find howtos at manila.userland.com, the set of howtos is incomplete now. For questions they should post on frontier.userland.com.

Frontier programmers should go to frontier.userland.com, and from there to DocServer, and various other sites, that are not well marked or categorized.

When in doubt, try the search engine. If that doesn't work, ask on the appropriate site for the level you are at.

Does this help?