Re: Evangelizing Frontier

Author:David Singer
Posted:7/12/2000; 9:31:49 PM
Topic:Evangelizing Frontier

Hmm, three topics in one message, all of which I want to answer.

I'll start with the easy one: a "Baedeker" (note the corrected spelling...I should have looked it up before I wrote my message!) is a guidebook, named after Karl Baedeker, who published a world-famous series of guidebooks beginning in 1839. Encarta has more information.

So your message was, in large part, a Baedeker -- and was very helpful. But how will the next newbie find it? Or decide among the levels without the explanation? There needs to be a starting point and guide to the levels, so that someone who's encountering Manila and wants to move on has a better chance of doing so. Manila and ETP makes it very easy to publish in the browser, but the next steps up the learning curve are big ones, and I think that may be part of the problem.

Similarly, both Scripting News and http://www.userland.com have a big box o' sites, some of which have fairly self-explanatory names, but some of which don't. Perhaps it's worth pointing very clearly to Userland's home page at the top of the box, since that page does explain most of the other sites.

On to the third topic: I understand that Scripting News is yours, not Userland's -- but it's also the hottest spot (in more ways than one) in the Userland web presence, and so it's hard to keep you separate from Userland. I'll try to remember the difference.

And I'm still confused about what prefs are which. :-)